Talk About Homes
These conversation ideas can help your child explore the concept that every home is different. That each one is an expression of unique family values and interests.
After a visit to a new friend’s home … “Seeing other homes is like a trip to another country, right? Things are kinda different and kinda the same.”
- What did you notice that was different from our home?
- Some homes are bigger than others. Why do you think that is?
- And here you are in a discussion about family income.
- Can you imagine what it would be like to live in a smaller home? A larger one?
- Does living in a smaller or larger home make a person different? Do you still have things in common? What are they?
- Each family has things that are special to them. There might be photographs, or items on a mantle. Special pillows on the sofa or bed. If someone new came into your home, what might they think is special to you?
- Let’s think about when someone visits our home. What do we think they will notice? What do we want them to notice?