Letter Scavenger Hunt
This activity can build your child’s awareness of letter sounds in their real life.
- Tell your child it’s time for a letter treasure hunt – and we begin with the letter “R”
- Let’s see if we can find 3 things in this room that begin with the letter “R.”
- Move around with them, saying “hmmmm” or “RRRRR”.
- If they seem to be struggling, pick out different articles and name them. “Do you hear an “R” in that word?”
- Eventually ask them to pick out items – say their name – and then decide.
- Soon they will be able to move about on their own.
- “I’m wondering, does Teddy Bear start with an R? What if it DID start with an R? Would it be Ready Bear.”
- You can increase the difficulty level by setting a timer or raising the number of examples.
- Give them a turn to name a starting letter that YOU have to find.
- This is a great game for car rides, too.